The University of British Columbia Awards helps international graduate students pay their tuition costs when enrolled full-time in research-oriented masters or doctoral programs offered at Vancouver’s University of British Columbia Vancouver campus.
Please continue reading to learn more about applying for the University of British Columbia Awards and its value in terms of eligibility, weight, and application procedure.
The University of British Columbia is an institution of higher education and a public research university. It has campuses in Vancouver along with Kelowna, British Columbia. It was founded in 1908, and this is the University of British Columbia, the oldest British Columbian University. It is ranked among the top three institutions in Canada.
With an annual budget for research that is $759m, the University finances more than 8,000 projects per year. Its Vancouver campus is situated near the University Endowment Lands, based about 10 kilometers (6 miles) to the west of downtown Vancouver.
The University of British Columbia is the home of TRIUMF Canada’s national research laboratory for nuclear and particle Physics, which houses the world’s largest cyclotron. Alongside it is the home of the Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies and the Stuart Blusson Quantum Matter Institute. The University and The Max Planck Society collectively founded the first Max Planck Institute in North America that specialized in quantum material.
Although it is one of the most influential researchers’ libraries in Canada, The libraries Library system contains greater than 9.9 million volumes across its 21 branches. Its Okanagan campus, established by the University in 2005, is located within Kelowna, British Columbia.
Additionally, eight Nobel laureates, seventy-four Rhodes scholars, and 65 Olympians received awards, ten fellows from the American Academy of Arts & Sciences and the Royal Society, and 273 fellows of the Royal Society of Canada have been affiliated with the University of British Columbia. There are three Canadian Prime Ministers, including the first female Canadian prime minister, Kim Campbell, and the current prime minister, Justin Trudeau, who have had their education at the University of British Columbia.
The faculties, as well as schools, manage academic activities. There are 12 faculties on its Vancouver campus and seven on its Okanagan campus. The University’s campus in Vancouver includes two colleges of academics: Interdisciplinary Studies and Health Disciplines and Health Disciplines, and UBC Okanagan has a College of Graduate Studies. Additionally, there is Vancouver has a campus. Vancouver campus, known as the Faculty of Arts, has been in existence since 1915. Fairview Campus is the most prominent faculty in the University, having twenty departments and faculties.
In 2014 in 2014, The University of British Columbia formed an entirely brand-new International Programs designation separate from the traditional definition of an academic faculty. In conjunction with this new designation, it launched Vantage College to allow international students who don’t satisfy the English requirement for general admissions to participate in its change program.
Additionally, the University is an active member of Universitas 21, an international organization of research-led institutions, and is the only Canadian participant in the Association of Pacific Rim Universities, a consortium of 42 top research universities located in the Pacific Rim.
Table of Contents
Worth of University of British Columbia Awards
The University of British Columbia Awards can be used to cover up to $3200 per year.
Eligibility for University of British Columbia Awards
- To receive the University of British Columbia Awards to be eligible, you must have been assessed for international tuition charges. Be aware that students can review their tuition assessment through the Student Service Centre.
- Candidates must be registered full-time in approved graduate programs. Look up your graduate program’s listing in the Graduate Degree Programs section (see the Tuition and Costs of Program box).
- Candidates who receive funding from outside, such as their government at home, Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship, or any other funding agency such as CIDA, WUSC, DAAD CONACYT CONICYT, NSF, for their tuition, which is higher or equal to the amount in the International Tuition Award are not eligible for the scholarship.
- The applicants who receive external funds for their tuition, which is less than the value included in an International Tuition Award, will have their International Award reduced by the amount of the tuition funds.
- Please note that the University has the power to alter the value of the scholarship at any time without prior notice.
How to Apply for the University of British Columbia Awards
The deadline for applications for the award has not been announced; however, it is open.